Mt. Pleasant is a “Tree of Life where lives blossom and love grows.” Psalm 1 brings clarity to Mt. Pleasant’s vision. Psalm 1:1-3 (NIV) states, “Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.”
“I am a Root”
“He is like a tree planted by steams of water”. A tree’s root system anchors it to the ground and sustains its vitality. Mt. Pleasant’s members are the roots to our Tree of Life. This Tree of Life is not just our sculpture on our front wall. It is not a drawing, a concept, or a theory. We currently have about 200 roots supporting our Tree of Life. We envision over 3,000 connecting roots producing life-giving fruit worldwide. Our challenge is to grow deep and wide.
Our detailed mission statement explains our five values that we live by. Like an underground stream, these values nourish our roots.
- Worship – To become an exciting place of praise and worship, filled with an atmosphere of expectation, faith, and love. Worship demonstrates that we understand God’s worth and appreciate his splendor. Worship filled with faith, hope, and expressed in a loving environment is evangelical to every seeker. Powerful worship motivates us to take bold steps of faith and guides us to extreme obedience to Christ.
- Character – To develop a people of character united in covenant, vision, purpose, and the pursuit of excellence. God does not need perfectionists, but ordinary people who wish to excel. He wants us to be people of character, inspired by vision, who operate in a spirit of excellence. The life that Christ has given us is expressed in our authentic relationships.
- Prayer – To be a house of prayer for all people. We will be a people with a heart for continuous prayer and supplication in the Spirit. Prayer changes us and then we change things. Mature prayers touch the heart of God, as the Holy Spirit helps us to release the explosive potential pooled within us, waiting to be unleashed.
- Stewardship – To be faithful stewards of God’s resources on a personal and corporate level. We expect a return on our investment. God has given us his three valuable resources of time, talent, and treasure to invest in Kingdom commitment.
- Service – To develop explosive local and global fivefold ministries that meet the needs of mankind’s spirit, soul, and body based on God’s Word. We enter to worship and exit to change the world through kingdom service. Commitment is never an issue when we understand our purpose. Our purpose sustains and refuels us as we minister to the needs around us.
We Bear Three Types of Fruit
“The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise” Proverbs 11:30 (NIV). Worship, prayer, and service produce fruit that spiritually empowers. Stewards who manage their time, talent, and treasure produce fruit that economically empowers. People of character help normalize relationships and build people up in a spirit of authenticity.
Our 3.1 million-dollar acquisition of Shammah Winds Apartments; helping gang members and drug dealers find employment; and leading the effort to restore our community are examples of fruit production. The fruits of our Sold Out Singles Ministry are healthy singles that are spiritually and economically empowered and relationally developed. Our Hearts Aglow Ministry produces healthy marriages that are financially stable and spiritually mature. Our Youth Ministry produces youth who are excited about their relationship with God, understand the importance of stewardship, and have authentic relationships with their peers. Mt. Pleasant is located in a depressed area. People that live in a depressed area need three things to have holistic life: spiritual and economic empowerment and relational development. People will always be drawn to trees of life.
God’s Promise to Mt. Pleasant
“He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.” God promised that we shall produce much fruit in our season, our leaves will be evergreen, and whatever we do shall prosper. There is one word that effectively describes Mt. Pleasant’s vision: LIFE.