19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. — Matthew 17:19-21 (KJV)
Join the Love on its Knees ministry in a three-week corporate fast from Sunday, November 1 through Saturday, November 21.
We are looking for a mighty move of God.
The main purpose of fasting is to become more intimate with God. Jesus himself fasted (Matthew 4:1-11). We know that Daniel fasted three weeks before receiving his vision (Daniel 10:2-6). Elijah fasted 40 days before speaking with God (1 Kings 19:8).
When starting a fast we should first repent of any sins and release any unforgiveness. We must establish why we are fasting (personally and corporately) and be specific. Ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and pray, and read the Word daily. Fasting builds up our spirit, and our flesh will “fight us” because it wants to be satisfied (headaches, irritability, etc. may occur).
Ephesians 4:13-16 (NIV), “until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, hat is, Christ. From Him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.”
- Pray that 2016 will be a prophetic year of fulfillment for MPWOC – Ephesians 4:13 (whole measure of fullness)
- Pray that God will help all of our leaders set kingdom goals for 2016 – Ephesians 4:13 (unity in faith and knowledge)
- Pray that each Mt. Pleasantonian will get in the right place and doing the right thing – Ephesians 4:16 (whole body fitly joined)
- Pray for our young adults 20-27 to advance in growth and kingdom assignment – Ephesians 4:13-15 (in all things grow up)
- Pray that our men will move to another level of spiritual warfare in our community – Ephesians 4:13-15 (in all things grow up)
ABOUT THE DANIEL FAST
The Daniel Fast is based on the fasting experiences of the prophet Daniel along with standard Jewish fasting principles. It is a partial fast, meaning that some foods are eaten and others are restricted.
Below is the list of what is allowed and what is not allowed during this fast. If you have specific health concerns, consult with a trusted health professional before beginning this three-week fast.
Foods to include in your diet during the Daniel Fast
- All fruits. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon.
- All vegetables. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini, veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy.
- All whole grains, including but not limited to whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn.
- All nuts and seeds, including but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame. Also nut butters including peanut butter.
- All legumes. These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.
- All quality oils, including but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame.
- Beverages: spring water, distilled water or other pure waters.
- Other: tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs and spices.
Foods to avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat and animal products including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish.
- All dairy products including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.
- All sweeteners, including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.
- All leavened bread including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods.
- All refined and processed food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.
- All deep fried foods including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, corn chips.
- All solid fats including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.
- Beverages including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.
Read labels carefully to avoid artificial and processed foods or chemicals.
Below is a PDF of the above list of foods that are allowed and foods to avoid. To download or print, click the >> arrows on the upper right.